Sunday, February 14, 2010

Students Find New Ways to Cope with Valentine's Day Blues

NORMAN- To some, Valentine’s Day brings awareness of being single whether then in a relationship. Students across the campus at the University of Oklahoma in Norman have different ways of coping with this newly identified day known as the “Day of Single Awareness.”
Jennifer Laney, a music education major from Owasso, said “I spent the entire day in bed while watching movies.” Laney shows no sign of having the day’s title wear down her spirits of knowing she’s not in a relationship. “ I don’t need a day to have me know that I’m single,” Laney laughs while eating her favorite boxed dinner from Chicken Express.
Casey Kenny, a senior majoring in Elementary Education, spent the day with her husband as the two prepared for his deployment to the Middle East. “We both know we’re poor so there’s nothing extravagant we have to do for one another,” Kenny said while making the last minute plans for their Sunday get-together. “Next year he’ll be deployed overseas so I’ll probably just make him some cookies and send them over to him,” she says while smiling and pondering the thought of not being in the same country as her husband. “I don’t know what he’ll do for me but I’ll make sure and send him something he can enjoy,” Kenney says while texting her husband.
Zec R., a freshman at OU, makes it blatantly obvious of why he is not in a relationship “ I always have this belief that whoever I’m with, I’ll cheat on them. I don’t want to take that risk, so why date?” Zec is one of the multiple people who mark this day, like Laney, as just another day.
As Facebook statuses exploded across the newsfeed at the end of the day with “best wishes” to both “Single Awareness Day” and “Valentine’s Day” people all over the internet acknowledge this day a day that you’re either in or out of a relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment